Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Phone call that I thought I would never make

Its nine thirty Tuesday morning. I have just finished breakfast. Read a few more pages of Charlie Wilson's war. Than I put the book aside. It was a bright day in my apartment in West Seattle by California avenue close to the corner of Admiral Way. I pick up the phone and called Dr. Ilham's house in Federal Way a mid size town 25 miles south of Seattle.

- Hello Dr. Ilham.
- Oh hello Darweesh, what a surprise, I thought you will never call, and I will call you Thursday at the end of our 13 days we talked about. So are you going somewhere or you decided to tell me no today instead of Thursday?
-Hmmmm my dear Dr. Ilham you are a very smart guy, smartest of the people I actually met, but now even you jump to conclusion before the facts. How do you know I will say no to your proposals?
_My Dear Darweesh. You are wrong again. I never say anything without weighing the facts and you know that better than anybody because you were my smartest student.
_ Will than I am lost, where are your facts coming from? I haven't told you my decision yet.

_ Remember Darweesh, Psychiatry and Psychology is not only my subject but also my hobby.
I am not a psychic but I can be a mind reader specially if I am talking to someone about an important issue face to face. So even for any reason or just to be polite, you never told me that this trip is little bit too much for you, but I saw unwillingness in you. I saw that you were thinking how can I take my foot of this hunting loop that I accidentally stepped on. I admire you Darweesh. You are very nice and clean cut conscious person. It doesn't matter if the first day you said no or if you say it today, I will still think of you as a good intelligent valuable friend. Here to make it easy for you. And maybe it is better I think alone anyways.
_ Hahaha, sorry I can't stop laughing Dr Ilham.

_ What is it my friend, I don't think I was funny
_ No Dr. Ilham, sorry. Its just amazing, totally amazing. I feel like I have just discovered second moon for earth or something.
_ Come on my friend, you know that's impossible, so tell me what really amazing happened that you are that happy?

_ You are wrong for the first time in your life and I am the witness. I thought I would never see that day. I admit your psycho analysis of me was right. From the day you told me about your big plan until last night I was looking to find the best way to decline. First I was hoping you forget you even offered me, and you don't take it serious. But than after your call and your email I realized that's impossible. So I was thinking of a way to say no without being rude. So I guess your psycho analysis is amazing as ever and never be wrong. But ..
_ But what my dear friend, why you went quiet? Are you still with me? Go ahead I won't interrupt you.
_ Yes Dr Ilham, I was laughing and being happy for the fact that even you are mortal human being and don't know all the answer, I thought I will never see this. You always been right. The fact of the matter is, I called to tell you after all I decided to accept your offer.
_ Good point my friend, that is a big lesson. I am not God, and no human ever going to be right in every situation. I knew that and I am sure you knew that too. It is just hard to believe why you thought I am always right?
_ Because you were, every single time, no matter how hard I looked and debated and searched to find something that makes better sense than what you told us and thought us but always got disappointed by not finding any. But now I know even you don't know everything and can be wrong.
_ Isn't that what I thought you anyways? There is no God which is born as human being. There is no perfect King, president, astronomer, psychologist, pope, etc etc. Even almost all of the prophets made a mistake or three? Some we know and some we don't.
_ Yes, knowing the fact is something , but finding someone mistake that always been right is such a pleasure ,, (laughing again).
_ Well, glad to entertain you my friend. Feel sorry for myself because I never had such a pleasure because first I never thought of anyone as perfect and second, I always think about their weak spots before think about positive things they have done.
_ OK what about me, what are my weak points Dr. Ilham?
_ Oh, some I have told you in classes which I am sure have changed by now. Haven't seen you much lately so I can't judge. And I am sure we will be pointing to each others weaknesses in that travel. I will really appreciate you point mines instead. We are not Student and professor anymore. You know more than me maybe and we are going to be working as colleagues and equals. We will have plenty to talk about and enough time.
_ OK than when I can see you, where?
_ Tomorrow, anytime it is convenient for you. And I hope its not too much bother if you come here.
_ OK than Tomorrow at 3.00 pm in Federal Way.
_ Agreed my dear friend. Looking forward to it. I will get some ground beef and chicken. And oh yes Foster, as I remember your favorite beer. So is my wife's. Me, as you know, I rarely drink, maybe some red wine.
_ Thank you Dr. Ilham, don't go to any trouble please.
_It is not trouble, Nazifa is going to kill me if I have a guest and he doesn't eat anything in our house. Women are some powerful entities you know?

No comments: